March 30, 2011

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling

Title:  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Author:  J. K. Rowling
Format:  PB
Pages:  870
Genre:  Teen Fantasy
Publisher:  Scholastic, 2004
ISBN-13:  978-0439358071
Series:  Harry Potter, Book 5

Favorite Quote:  "I cared about you too much," said Dumbledore simply.  "I cared more for your happiness than your knowing the truth, more for your peace of mind than my plan, more for your life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed.  In other words, I acted exactly as Voldemort expects we fools who love to act."

Synopsis (Amazon):  There is a door at the end of a silent corridor. And it's haunting Harry Potter's dreams. Why else would he be waking in the middle of the night, screaming in terror?

Here are just a few things on Harry's mind:  A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a personality like poisoned honey, A venomous, disgruntled house-elf, Ron as keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, The looming terror of the end-of-term Ordinary Wizarding Level exams.

. . . and of course, the growing threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. In the richest installment yet of J. K. Rowling's seven-part story, Harry Potter is faced with the unreliability of the very government of the magical world and the impotence of the authorities at Hogwarts.

Despite this (or perhaps because of it), he finds depth and strength in his friends, beyond what even he knew, boundless loyalty; and unbearable sacrifice.

Review:  This was a really long book.  It was a good story, full of suspense and excitement, but it was really just a little long.  I'm enjoying this series and am glad I finally have met these characters I've heard so much about.  

There were a few deaths in this book, one of which was completely unexpected.  I'm pleased to say that Ron and Dobby continue to make me laugh.  I really liked reading about the prophecy and Harry's destiny as laid out by it.  It explains so much about Harry's life.  I do wish that poor Harry Potter didn't have such a rough time of it, but it wouldn't be much of a story if he didn't, so there's not much sense in wishing he could have a more tranquil life.  While this one is not quite as good as the last novel, I still am enjoying these books.

Rating:  4 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top