February 6, 2012

Damiano by R.A. MacAvoy

Title:  Damiano
Author:  R.A. MacAvoy
Format: PB
Pages: 211
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Spectra, 1988
ISBN-13: 978-0553274806
Series: Damiano, Book 1

Favorite Quote: She was a small dog, knee-high, very heavy in the head and shoulders, and bandy-legged.  Ugly.  Her color was white, except for a saddle mark over her shoulders, and so she was called Macchiata, which is to say, Spot.

Synopsis (Back Cover):  One of the most highly praised fantasy epics of the decade, R.A. MacAvoy's A Trio for Lute is a masterful blend of history, magic and adventure.  Set against the turbulent backdrop of fourteenth-century Europe, this magnificent saga tells of the extraordinary quest of Damiano Delstrego, a young wizard's son.

Review:  I started the omnibus edition of this trilogy.  Unfortunately, I didn't really care all that much for the first book, so I'm stopping here.  It wasn't a horrible tale, by any means, it just wasn't as great as I expected.  My favorite character, Macchiata the dog, dies in the story which really did not add to the entire experience for me.  Granted, she comes back as a ghost, but that just isn't the same. 

I didn't actually like any of the other characters that much, including the main character, Damiano.  Even the angel Raphael didn't do anything for me.  There were some really good parts and some not so great ones.  All in all, I won't be finishing this trilogy.

Rating:  4.5 / 10





No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top