March 20, 2013

Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster

Title: Nor Crystal Tears
Author: Alan Dean Foster
Format: PB
Pages: 230
Genre: Science Fiction
Publisher: Ballantine, 1982

ISBN-13:     978-0345291417
Series: Humanx Commonwealth, Book 1

Favorite Quote:  "Not water tears from you nor crystal tears from me, would that I were able to manufacture them."

Synopsis:  Before Man and insectlike Thranx had become allies, when the reptilian AAnn were just occasional raiders of Thranx colony worlds, one young Thranx agricultural expert lived a life of quiet desperation. — A dreamer in a world of sensible, stable beings, Ryo buried himself in his work--reclaiming marshland from a tenacious jungle--until he came across a letter describing a relative's encounter with horrid, two-legged, soft-skinned space-going beasts... 

Review:  I've been wanting so badly to read this series, but didn't have the second book until just a few days ago.  I'm glad I waited though.  This series is going to be fabulous, if the first book is any indication.  The first half of the book is told from the alien standpoint.  There aren't even any humans in it at all until very nearly halfway through.  

Everything I love about Science Fiction, this book has.  Believable aliens, interesting settings, and a startling look at humanity through the eyes of something that's completely unlike us.  Speaking as a person who really hates insects, I was afraid I would never be able to really get into a story about insect-like aliens.  I was wrong, since Mr. Foster made them so eloquent and beautiful inside that I couldn't help but be enchanted.  It's a great book, a well-written story, and a wonderful start to what I hope is going to be an excellent series.

Rating:  10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top