April 4, 2017

D ~ Dystopia

Last year, I learned something new.  There is a word that describes so many of the books I've read and will read.  Dystopia.  I learned about it from last year's Dystopia Reading Challenge at Cornerfolds.  I'm sure it's not a new word, but I didn't know it, even though I've read hundreds (literally) of books that fall squarely into that realm.  Think 1984, Logan's Run, One Second After, The City and the Stars, the entire Deathlands series and, well, you get the idea.

If asked, I would have called them post-apocalyptic or cautionary tales, but some of the books I've read didn't really fit in those categories even though they certainly portrayed a world that's almost unrecognizable.  I'm glad to know there's an actual word out there for the paths we all hope no world, including ours, takes.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely read a lot of dystopian books a few years ago, reading the big YA series like Divergent and The Hunger Games. I think need to read more of the classic dystopians though, I do have Slaughterhouse 5 and Fahrenheit 451 sitting unread on my shelves and I want to get to them sooner rather than later.
    D is for James Keziah Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a lot of Dystopian stories as well. I just gravitate to them for some reason.

    Melissa @ My Creatively Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few dystopian tales and wish to read more even though I hope their version of the future does not come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely my favourite genre of books. The reading challenge sounds really intriguing too.
    Kim
    www.ramblingsofk.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top