November 18, 2011

Stormwarden by Janny Wurts

Title:  Stormwarden
Author:  Janny Wurts
Format:  PB
Pages:  264
Genre:  Fantasy
Publisher:  Eos, 1999
ISBN-13:  978-0061073557
Series:  The Cycle of Fire, Book 1


Favorite Quote:  The collar's legacy was misery; woe to the mortal who touched it, for his will would serve the powers of Kor's Accursed without hope to the end of life.

Synopsis (PBS):  SUMMON ME, SORCERER, AND KNOW SORROW... Written in the records at Vaere is the tale of the binding of the Mharg-demons by Anskiere, wizard of wind and wave. Anskiere was aided in this task by Ivain, master of fire and earth, for the skills of a single sorcerer were not enough against so formidable a foe. It is further recorded that at the moment of greatest peril, Ivain betrayed his companion out of jealousy. Nonetheless the demons were defeated, the wards sealed, and Anskiere survived to swear a powerful oath against his betrayer. So potent was the magic in the words spoken by Anskiere that sailors who have visited the site claim the winds there repeat them to this day: 'Your offence against me is pardoned but not forgotten. This geas I lay upon you; should I call, you, Ivain, shall answer, and complete a deed of my choice, even to the end of your days. And should you die, my will shall pass to your eldest son, and to his son's sons after him, until the debt is paid...'

Review:  I actually am reading the omnibus edition of The Cycle of Fire trilogy, but I will review each story separately.  It's been far too long since I read a really great Fantasy novel, and this is assuredly a great one.  I love every last bit of it.  The characters are wonderful, especially the Vaere, the supposedly mystical and mythical creatures that are actually futuristic machines, were great.  I loved it.

Rating:  10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top