December 8, 2011

Sliver of Truth by Lisa Unger

Title:  Sliver of Truth
Author:  Lisa Unger
Format:  HC
Pages:  352
Genre:  Thriller
Publisher:  Shaye Areheart, 2007
ISBN-13:  978-0307338464
Series:  Ridley Jones, Book 2

Favorite Quote:  The idea that we might never understand, that our questions might go unanswered until the day we die, almost never occurs to us.  And when it does, it fills us with dread.

Synopsis (PBS):  Bestseller Unger's sensational second thriller (after Beautiful Lies) puts her in the same league as such genre masters as Peter Straub and Peter Abrahams. From the cryptic opening section, which ends with a New York Times reporter finding her husband bleeding to death, Unger grabs the reader by the throat and doesn't let go. Meanwhile, the FBI informs Ridley Jones, a magazine writer, that her late uncle, Max Smiley (who's really her biological father), is still alive and being sought by assorted international players on all sides of the law. Rapidly finding that little in her life is what it seems, Jones is horrified to be confronted with evidence indicating that Smiley is a misogynistic monster of the first order, who may have played a role in the murder of the reporter's husband. Unger's gifts for dialogue and pacing set this far above the standard novel of suspense and will leave many anxiously awaiting her third book.

Review:  When I read the first book in this series, Beautiful Lies, I didn't realize there was another book that went with it.  It wasn't until later that I realized, happily, that I could read the continuation of Ridley Jones' adventures.  I enjoyed the first one immensely and was worried this one wouldn't be as satisfying.  I'm pleased to say I was wrong.  Not only was this as satisfying, I think I liked it even better than the first one.

Full of fast-paced action and twists and turns, this story kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.  That coupled with the insights into the psyche of a killer made for a really great read.  It was such a fast read that I finished it in less than 48 hours.

Rating:  9.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top