April 1, 2017

A ~ April Fools' Day

What in the world could April Fools' Day and books have in common?  I was born late in the afternoon on March 31st.  I was almost an April Fools' baby.  My mother read to me long after I could read for myself.  There were always books in our house and I had a library card of my own when I was very young.  I believe that these are the reasons why I love to read.

I remember my very first favorites still:  Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson, and Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.

I turned 50 yesterday and I've always gotten a new book to enjoy either as a gift from my family or as a gift to myself....just in time for April Fools' Day.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. Good you remember the early books that you read. Difficult for me to remember now.
    Awareness of Environment - Theme - Top Management Challenges
    Prof. K.V.S.S. Narayana Rao

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice that reading has been such a central feature in your life. I really like the idea of getting yourself a special book for your birthday. I hope you picked up a good one this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I picked up three....but who's counting? My aunt had been saving up books for the occasion!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! Mine was last Saturday. I have a few years on you.

    Good start to this year's challenge. I look forward to the rest of the alphabet.

    John Holton
    A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    The Sound Of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think after a certain point, a few years is just that -- a few. I don't feel any older than I did a week ago! Happy belated birthday and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Green Eggs and Ham! That book is great. I'm looking forward to sharing it with my sons.

    Happy A to Zing!
    Andrea Lundgren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you share a birthday with my grandma. She would have been 29 again, if I understand her math. I think it worked out better for you being born the afternoon prior to April Fool's. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! Between the April Fools' thing and being naturally blonde, I have excuses galore for being just a little odd. =)

      Delete
  6. Belated happy birthday and a nice idea to gift yourself a book every year.

    -- Usha Photoblogger

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *loved* Where the Wild Things Are! The illustrations were creepy, which is part of the reason why I liked it so much. ;) A book every year for one's birthday sounds like a splendid tradition. Happy 50th too! Amazing!

    Magical and Medicinal Herbs: Ash

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Belated Happy Birthday!
    I was always the child who nobody minded buying presents for...they knew what to buy me...a book!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top