November 27, 2015

Conspirator by C. J. Cherryh

Title:  Conspirator
Author:  C. J. Cherryh
Pages:  370
Genre:  Science Fiction
Publisher:  DAW Books, 2009

Synopsis:  The paidhi-aiji interpreter between the native Atevi and the stranded humans, Bren Cameron remains worried though the Atevi civil war has ended at least for now and his side victorious. He fears human technological and other intervention assimilating and ultimately destroying the Atevi lifestyle. At the same time, there are still supporters of the vanquished usurper Murini and those loyal to the current regime claiming that Cajeiri, the heir to the Western Association leader, has spent too much time living with humans in their environs and is therefore no longer pure Atevi.

Ironically the young heir fears what mankind offers as he knows how easily this could be adapted and ultimately would supersede their culture especially with its potential intrusiveness into the Atevi communication system. Cameron agrees with Cajeiri, but as he eludes assassins from both species, he struggles to keep his young obstinate friend from overreacting at the wrong time increasing hostilities.

Review:  I last visited with Bren, Jago, and Banichi back in 2010.  It took a while to get the next book in the series and since this series is grouped in trilogies, even longer to get the two that go with it.  This is the 10th of the Foreigner series and I've already started number 11.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy these books.  If I had known how long it would be before I got the next set of three, I possibly would have kept the first 9.  I had to read the synopsis for the previous books so I could remember what I'd read before.

Either way, these books are so good.  I love the Atevi.  They are so unlike humans in some ways, but very like us in others.  I'm pleased I decided to read this book and will be sorry when, once again, I'm waiting on three more.

There was plenty of excitement, with assassination attempts and missing children.  But the best part is the interaction between the characters - it is so well written and humorous and realistic.

Rating:  9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top