February 6, 2016

Dark Satanic by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Title:  Dark Satanic
Author:  Marion Zimmer Bradley
Pages:  218
Genre:  Horror / Thriller / Fantasy
Publisher:  Tom Doherty Associates, 1972
Series:  Claire Moffatt, Book 1

Synopsis:  Jamie Melford is about to publish a book on witchcraft, one that reveals long-hidden occult secrets.  Someone very powerful wants that book destroyed -- and Jamie Melford with it.

Review:  Jamie and Barbara Melford have their lives turned upside down by a book about witchcraft.  Either someone is trying to kill them or trying to make them lose their minds....or both.

Barbara is lucky enough to meet Claire Moffatt and Colin MacLaren.  These two are part of a larger group that fights against the use of the dark arts.  Between the three of them, they have to find a way to save Jamie's life.

I know this book is set in the early 1970's, but some of the story is quite dated.  The interactions between the men and the women come across more as something from the 1950's, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the book.

This book is a mixture of several genres.  It has some truly horrific moments, is a thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat quite a few times, and because of the subject matter is a bit of urban fantasy.  Unfortunately, I already knew who two of the witches were long before the ending.  It didn't really take away from the story, but I wish I'd been more surprised.

Rating:  4.5 / 10

1 comment:

  1. I love the cover. Too bad the story wasn't better. I think I will pass on this one so thanks for sharing and saving me the time of checking it out. Hope your next read is better.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top