February 28, 2012

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Title:  Artemis Fowl
Author:  Eoin Colfer
Format: PB
Pages: 278
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Miramax, 2002
ISBN-13: 978-0786817078
Series: Artemis Fowl, Book 1

Favorite Quotes:  Carry me always, carry me well.  I am thy teacher of herb and spell.  I am thy link to power arcane.  Forget me and thy magick shall wane.

If the Mud People knew that the word "leprechaun" actually originated from LEPrecon, an elite branch of the Lower Elements Police, they'd probably take steps to stamp them out.  Better to stay inconspicuous and let the humans have their stereotypes.

"D'Arvit!" growled Root.  (There is no point translating that word, as it would have to be censored.)

Synopsis (PBS):  Artemis Fowl is a one of the greatest criminal minds the world has ever seen. He is heir to the Fowl family empire -- a centuries old clan of international underworld figures and con artists. He is arguably the most cunning Fowl of all. He is also twelve years old. — Artemis' interest in mythology and an obsession with the Internet leads him to discover proof of the existence of "The People" -- otherwise known as fairies, sprites, leprechauns and trolls. He learns every fairy has a magical Book. If he can find the Book, it will lead him to "The People's" vast treasure of gold.

With his brutish sidekick, Butler, he sets his plans in motion. Artemis tricks a drunken old fairy woman into loaning him her Book, a tiny golden volume, for thirty minutes. He scans it with a digital camera and emails it to his Mac G6 computer. Back in his mansion in Ireland, he is the first human to decode the secrets of the fairies.

Artemis needs a leprechaun to help him with this plan. He and Butler hunt down Holly Short, a tough, female LEPrecon, part of a gung-ho Fairy commando unit, who is on a reconnaissance mission.

He kidnaps her, and a major battle begins. It's satyr against gnome, man against elf, and for the first time in his life, Artemis must decide what he values most.


Review:  What a great book!  I've been wishing I could find another good youth / YA fantasy series and it looks like I have.  The book is laugh-out-loud funny in places and touching in others.  It is full of action and excitement.  The characters are great, especially Artemis, although I really did adore the dwarf, Mulch. 

I love any book about the Fae and this one is especially fun, since it has high tech mixed with old lore.  I'm not sure what age range this is meant for, but it's certainly entertaining enough for an adult.  I simply couldn't pick just one favorite quote and actually could have chosen more.  One of my favorite books I've read this year.  I will absolutely be continuing this series.

Rating:  10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top