March 22, 2012

Emprise by Michael Kube-McDowell

Title:  Emprise
Author:  Michael Kube-McDowell
Format:  PB
Pages:  304
Genre:  Science Fiction
Publisher:  Ace, 1985
ISBN-13:     978-0441180745  
Series:  Trigon Disunity, Book 1

Favorite Quote:  "Our long journey has been with one purpose, to end at long last all fences between us.  We have grown old with waiting and beg an end to waiting.  We ask for a meeting between us so that homage may be paid to the Founders and all that has been held in trust may be reclaimed."

"Forgive me.  I have been waiting thirty-three years to say that." 

Synopsis (PBS):  The devastating Food and Fuel Wars have turned once-powerful nations into isolated farming communities. Barter has replaced currency, and scientists-considered responsible for the world's misery-are burned at the stake. Hidden in the Idaho hills, astronomer Allen Chandliss secretly monitors his radiotelescope, listening for signs of intelligent life, hoping that aliens will come and improve things on Earth. For seventeen years he has waited patiently. His patience is about to pay off. . . . 

Review:  Set in the very near future (nearly present), this story is one of triumph over incredible odds.  It's also a study in human nature, especially the worst parts.  I loved all the characters, even the horrible ones.  I loved the story.  I loved the ending, which I did NOT see coming until the bitter end.  I have found another great new author to adore.  I really can't say what I want to say without giving the story away so I will simply highly recommend it.

Rating:  10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top