March 27, 2011

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling

Title:  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author:  J. K. Rowling
Format:  PB
Pages:  733
Genre:  Teen Fantasy
Publisher:  Scholastic, 2002
ISBN-13:  978-0439139601
Series:  Harry Potter, Book 4

Favorite Quotes:  "Sir is very kind!" he squeaked, his eyes brimming with tears again, bowing deeply to Ron.  "Dobby knew sir must be a great wizard, for he is Harry Potter's greatest friend, but Dobby did not know that he was also as generous of spirit, as noble, as selfless---"

"There you go, Harry!" Ron shouted over the noise.  "You weren't being thick after all --- you were showing moral fiber!"

Synopsis (Amazon):  Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup. He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for a hundred years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards. And in his case, different can be deadly.

Review:  This book was much longer and more violent than the first three.  I've switched the genre to Teen Fantasy because of this.  As I suspected, the books are growing up with the characters. which makes sense, but which also makes it difficult for the younger readers who want to complete the series.

I've found another character I adore.  Dobby, the house elf, is so cute and funny.  I hope he continues to be a character in the rest of the books.  Ron is still a lot of fun, although he wasn't in this story as much as the last ones.  I really liked Moody, the new Dark Arts teacher, but since he turned out to be a really bad guy, I must admit he had me fooled until the very end.

I couldn't put this story down.  I think this is a record.  I read all 733 pages in around 48 hours, possibly less.  I'll be happy if the rest of the novels are this good.  I was hesitant to give this book a 5, but really it's just so darn good that I have to.

Rating:  5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top