March 31, 2011

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling

Title:  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Author:  J. K. Rowling
Format:  HC
Pages:  651
Genre:  Teen Fantasy
Publisher:  Scholastic, 2005
ISBN-13:  978-0439784542
Series:  Harry Potter, Book 6

Favorite Quote:  "I am not worried, Harry, " said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water.  "I am with you."

Synopsis (Amazon):  The war against Voldemort is not going well; even the Muggles have been affected. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses. And yet . . . As with all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Harry receives some extraordinary help in Potions from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince. And with Dumbledore's guidance, he seeks out the full, complex story of the boy who became Lord Voldemort -- and thus finds what may be his only vulnerability.

Review:  This is my favorite of this series, by far.  The past of Voldemort is revealed.  A character who seemed trustworthy turns out to be working for the enemy.  It turns out that Draco is to be pitied, at least a little bit.  Hogwarts might be closing.  And, Harry's future destiny looks grim.

There were many happy moments, too.  Harry falls in love with Ron's younger sister, Ginny.  Ron gets his first kiss.  Dumbledore becomes a more approachable, lovable character than he already was.

And then, Dumbledore dies.  I was shocked.  I didn't see it coming.  I kept waiting for someone to wave their wand and make it all change.  I found myself teary-eyed.  Now Harry is on his own in his efforts to find the remaining pieces of Voldemort's soul and defeat his enemies.  I've already begun the next (and last) book because I must know what happens next.

I'd give this book a 6, but a 5 will have to do.

Rating:  5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top