December 4, 2015

Deceiver by C. J. Cherryh

Title:  Deceiver
Author:  C. J. Cherryh
Pages:  355
Genre:  Science Fiction
Publisher:  DAW Books, 2010

Synopsis:  The civil war among the alien Atevi is over.  Tabini-ajii, dynamic ruler of the Western Association, has reclaimed his former power, and once again resides in the capital.  But factions that remain loyal to the opposition are still present, and the danger that these rebels pose is far from over.

Review:  I do love these books, but it's taken me an entire week to read this one.  There is so much going on and so many alien references that sometimes it forces me to re-read a page again (and again) just so I don't miss anything.  Added to that, I spent quite a bit of last weekend working on finding challenges and fixing up my blog, instead of reading.

I'm starting the next one tomorrow, though.  I have to know how this trilogy finishes out.  No more distractions.  I am so close.....

But, back to the book.  Bren has managed to get himself in a dangerous situation once again.  But this time, the entire fate of the aishidi'tat rests on his ability to persuade one rebel to rethink his stance.  I'm sure it'll all come out right in the end, I'm just not sure how.

Jago, Bren's lover and bodyguard, is the perfect female character.  Sure, she's not human, but she's Atevi and far more human that some humans I know.  She's also strong and tough and kind and smart...and, really a wonderful character.  The Atevi have no word for love or friendship, but they have man'chi, a kind of instinctual drive of loyalty for a leader, and her man'chi is to Bren.  Sounds cold, but it's not.  It's passionate in a completely alien way and I love it.

I wish I was there and could meet Bren, Jago and Banichi and ride a mechieta through the countryside.

Rating:  9 / 10  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top