April 1, 2016

A ~ Aslan

Aslan
Aslan, the main character of The Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis, is the only character to appear in all seven books of the series.  Aslan is Turkish for "lion".  He is described as large, terrifying and magnificent.  He is also the ultimate power for good.
"Aslan is on the move. The witch’s magic is weakening." - The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Ch.10
I begin with Aslan, not only because it starts with A, but also because he stars in what I believe was my first foray into true Fantasy and I hold this set of books at least partially responsible for my life-time love affair with the genre.

I don't remember how old I was, but I know I was enraptured by the idea that if I just looked hard enough, I could find Narnia.  I admit I spent quite a few winter afternoons looking for the right closet in our house.  I blamed my failure on the fact that we did not have a wardrobe, just plain old closets -- which were obviously not as magical as wardrobes.

And, sadly, I still don't have a wardrobe...

7 comments:

  1. Very Nice Post...

    Welcome in the letter "A"... thank you!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2016]

    Stop over and find a free "SIX STRINGS: BLOGGING AtoZ CHALLENGE" Here: http://www.jmhdigital.com/

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I don't remember how old I was, but I know I was enraptured by the idea that if I just looked hard enough, I could find Narnia' Sigh...

    Enjoyed the read. Aslan does look magnificent, even now.

    Best,
    Nilanjana.

    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Chronicles of Narnia as a kid. I still want a wardrobe too.
    Good luck on the A-Z Challenge!
    -Katy (http://www.thekatyblog.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree, Narnia are some of the best children's books, I read them all, and read them all to my children too. They are the kind of stories that are timeless and will pass on down the generations. Have a great A to Z
    martine@silencing the bell
    http://silencingthebell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. Aslan is certainly a memorable character. I remember when I was small, I really wanted to try turkish delight because the book made it sound so naughty good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved these books when I was a kid, and Aslan was one of my favourite characters. The horror I felt in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe when I thought he was dead still stays with me to this day!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember how old I was either when first read these books and fell in love with Aslan. I guess as writers our stories are our wardrobes through to the magical land. At least I'd like to think so. :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top