April 7, 2016

F ~ Fairies

Fairies
Take the Fair Face of Woman, and Gently Suspending, With Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending, Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most Beautiful Things by Sophie Gengembre Anderson [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Fairies are spontaneous and troublesome and usually a great deal of fun.  They have been around since Celtic times and have been everything from fallen angels to demons, depending on the source.

Enter Walt Disney.  Between the Blue Fairy that makes Pinocchio a real boy and Tinker Bell, Peter Pan's side-kick, the fairy has become something new.  Neither of these stories was written by Mr. Disney, but he brought them to the big screen in the Disney fashion we've all come to know and love.  And thereby, he changed a once-demon into a magical, mystical, lovable character.

If you're longing to read more about the fae, I strongly recommend the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  Her fairies may not look like Tinker Bell, but the stories are enthralling.  You might also love the Bronze Canticles trilogy by Tracy & Laura Hickman as much as I did.

6 comments:

  1. perfect day to find you on A to Z - my last name is Faries (yes I married into it and they pronounce it more like Ferris). I've always like the Disney faries, etc. Not a good name for a Marine - oldest son got the nickname of Tinkerbell while in the service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I think I'd love to have your last name =)

      Delete
  2. fairies are indeed fun, the good, the bad and the ugly. Great choice of F word, and thanks for the book recommendation.

    Best wishes for the rest of the challenge
    Nilanjana.
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great books. Hope you find time to read them!

      Delete
  3. Great post and blog! You're well on your way to reading one million pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I'd kept better records when I was younger, I'd be further along. I only had records back to about 8 years ago..

      Delete

Back to Top